VISIT DOMASO ON LAKE COMO
Domaso lago di Como italia Domaso lake Como Italy Domaso Comer see italien Domaso lac de Côme italie Domaso Comomeer italie
  • image01

Montecchio Fortress - Fuentes Fortress

Montecchio Fortress

The only fort of World War I still intact with the 4 largest Italian cannons. The fort was built in the characteristic style of early 20th century buildings and designed by General Enrico Rocchi considered an expert in military constructions at the time. Built entirely in concrete and stone, it has two levels and the military quarters are situated in a separate wing from the central body. The two edifices are connected thanks to a tunnel dug out in the rock and protected by two metre thick tunnel vaults. Four cannons are situated on the top of the edifice placed in revolving structures which are protected by steel and cast iron domes. It is the most modern armament used in Italian fortifications during the First World war. The four cannons are the only remaining originals to this day. These weapons were constructed by a French industry called Schneider, as the Italian war industry was not able to supply the required number of cannons for all the fortifications. These 149/35 S models are not only the largest cannons in Italy but they are also in perfect working order even though the obvious removal of the striker does not allow it to fire. Each cannon can be rotated and lifted between –8 and +42°. It is also equipped with a brake, a counter-recoil mechanism and an air-compressed device which allows the gas produced by the blast to be expelled. Each cannon weighing 3,800 kg was capable of using various types of shells: 52 kg-Sharapnels could reach targets at a distance of 11.6 km while 149 S grenades weighing 42 kg fired up to 12.1 km away. The lighter 37 kg built-in grenades had a much longer range and could reach a distance of 14.2 km. One particular feature of the cannons was that they did not use propellant shells but jacket shells. The explosive was kept in the arms deposit dug under the mountain and when needed it was carried up to the upper floor with special hoists. While a team of artillery-men prepared the explosives to be used, the officials who were in charge of aiming calculated the trajectory with charts and firing tables from the commander’s room and gave orders to the men positioned at the cannons thanks to an inter-phone system. Finally an observation dome allowed the operation to be verified.

Fuentes Fortress

The building of the fort Fuentes was ordered by the homonymous Spanish Count and Governor of the Duchy of Milan in 1603, in order to guard the most northern border of his territory from an invasion by the Grigioni who were allied with the Republic of Venice). This fort was wiped out by Giuseppe II in 1782 and destroyed by Napoleon in 1796. Nevertheless we can still identify its perimeter, the Governor’s residence, and the chapel from which a fresco of Saint Barbara was removed but which today is kept in the new parish in Colico dedicated to Saint George.

See also:

Gravedona

gravedona Comer seeGravedona is set in a splendid position along the graceful bay at the foot of the Liro Valley opposite the Piona peninsular and Mount Legnone. Its name has Ligurian roots which indicates a head ...
More »

Villa Balbianello

villa balbianello lake ComoThe Villa del Balbianello is a villa in the town of Lenno, overlooking Lake Como. It is located on the tip of a small wooded peninsula on the western shore of the south-west limb of Lake Como, ...
More »

Montecchio Fortress - Fuentes Fortress

Montecchio Fortress

The only fort of World War I still intact with the 4 largest Italian cannons. The fort was built in the characteristic style of early 20th century buildings and designed ...
More »

Varenna

varenna lago di comoVarenna is built upon a rock at the foot of a mountain which rises almost vertically above it, leaving the skeleton of a ruined ancient castle exposed to the sky. Its community dates back to th ...
More »

Villa Carlotta

Villa CarlottaVilla Carlotta is a marvellous high-class residence on the western shore of Lake Como constructed in 1690 by the Milanese banker Giorgio Clerici and donate by the princess Marianna of Nassau, w ...
More »

Villa Melzi

villa melzi bellagio lago di comoVilla Melzi was born as a summer residence in Bellagio of Francesco Melzi d’Eril, vice-president of the Italian republic at the time of Napoleon (1801 – 1803). The project, commissioned to the famous ...
More »

Bellagio

Few places are as romantic as Lake Como, and even fewer resorts as beautiful as Bellagio. Called the “Pearl of the Lake”, Bellagio's world class hotels and restaurants provide the perfect place to soa ...
More »

The Abbey of Piona

The Abbey of Piona is Colico's flagship even though it is situated in the hamlet of Olgiasca, on the rocky point which leads down to the half-closed lakelet formed by a natural blockage.
More »

Comacina Island

The Comacina Island is the only island of the lake Como.
Today half-deserted, it was inhabited since the times roman. It had monuments in paeolocristiana age already (V sec.) and it grew of imp ...
More »

Menaggio

Menaggio is situated on a small cape where the Lake Como reveals in all its awfulness. Optimal its receptive and sport equipment, graceful the dock often full of boats multicolors.

Menagg ...
More »

 


Associazione Promozione Domaso
Piazza Roma - Italy 22013 Domaso (CO) - CF 01543960130
tel. +39 324 0914 635 - email: info@visitdomaso.com


Sitemap